lunedì 7 aprile 2014

The start of the biggest experience in my life

The start of my biggest experience in my life


How will my internship be? What do they expect from me? How is my living place? Who are my roommates? Does someone speak English? What if I get home sick? What kind of people shall I meet?


They raced through my head, over and over again, from left to right and back again. It looked like a washing machine! It will probably be familiar to you, always the same uncertain questions that are actually not necessary…


These were my thoughts during my flight to Rome. I started to realize it from the moment that I said my family and friends goodbye en I stepped into the plane. Was I nervous? Of course! Do I regret it? NEVER!


It all started a few months ago. I had to find an internship for six months. This is an important part of my study Media management. I knew that I wanted more then only an internship in Holland. I was searching for a challenge en I would take it with both hands! My options were very wide and I could choose every country that I wanted. This was not very hard for me to think about.


The city where I saw myself living for six months was Rome. Why? I really don’t know because I didn’t knew that much about the city but I had just a dominant feeling that I had to go there. And of course you all know the well known statement: “Your first feeling is most of the time the right feeling”. I just listened to that feeling and took the challenge. I always wanted to learn Italian so this was the perfect chance!


After all the arrangements with school and the internship agency I finally found an internship that fit perfect to my study. This was not that easy because the internship agency that worked for me was very slow and it was a lot of last minute work.


Panorama view from the top of Villa Borghese
My place to live was very easily arranged, thanks to company ICOA! They arranged immediately a nice apartment for me in the area of Parioli; A chique area with a lot of doctors, bankers and lawyers. It is a beautiful place very close to the centre of Rome.

My first weeks were exhausting, amazing and spectacular! Everything went well and I knew it for sure: I had made the right choice. Getting used to the Italian culture is not very easy for a real Dutch girl. Now after three months I am finally getting to realize everything and I feel myself a little less foreign. As a foreign citizen I experience the craziest things during my work and during my free time and I experience everything from a completely different perspective than I do normally as a tourist. Every week a new post about things that are happening here should be enough to get an impression of my life here in Rome!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento